By Tara Rippin • 27 October 2018 • 18:44
FATAL EXPLOSION: A 69-year-old and her dog have been killed in the blaze. CREDIT: Real Cuerpo de Bomberos
FIFTY tourists were evacuated and roads were closed after smoke billowed through a hotel in the centre of Benidorm this afternoon.
A maintenance worker was treated for smoke inhalation as a result of the incident, which is believed to have been caused by a kitchen fryer overheating at Bristol Park Hotel, at around 12.30pm. No other injuries have been reported.
Due to the rapid spread of smoke, Local and National Police and fire fighters cleared the establishment, which is undergoing an expansion programme, into Doctor Fleming Square.
And Herrerias street was temporarily closed while firefighting teams dealt with the fire and made the area safe.
Share this story
Subscribe to our Euro Weekly News alerts to get the latest stories into your inbox!
By signing up, you will create a Euro Weekly News account if you don’t already have one. Review our
Tara Rippin is a reporter for Spain’s largest English-speaking newspaper, Euro Weekly News, and is responsible for the Costa Blanca region.
She has been in journalism for more than 20 years, having worked for local newspapers in the Midlands, UK, before relocating to Spain in 1990.
Since arriving, the mother-of-one has made her home on the Costa Blanca, while spending 18 months at the EWN head office in Fuengirola on the Costa del Sol.
She loves being part of a community that has a wonderful expat and Spanish mix, and strives to bring the latest and most relevant news to EWN’s loyal and valued readers.
Share your story with us by emailing [email protected], by calling +34 951 38 61 61 or by messaging our Facebook page www.facebook.com/EuroWeeklyNews
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Download our media pack in either English or Spanish.